Council Meeting Update (July 19th, 2022)
Friends of Wahwashkesh,
We attended the public meeting of the Municipality of Whitestone and came back with positive results! The councilors listened to our concerns regarding the Keene Proposed Subdivision on the Top Lake.
Our Concerns Included:
- Septic/grey water systems (and hydro systems) will potentially be under water and do not appear to meet OBC requirements.
- Buildings will be built upon stilts on land, potentially under water.
- Subdivision partially borders the environmentally-sensitive McCormicks Pond, where there is a critical at-risk fish habitat.
- We have many concerns with respect to emergency services, and the overcapacity of public parking / docking for Wahwashkesh that have not been addressed by the municipality. Developer Keene has acquired parking that is not practical, not usable, and has no associated docking. He admits that no one will use it.
- The proposed subdivision clearly does not comply with the intent of the Official Plan to “preserve the natural environment while encouraging sustainable growth.”
- We support development on Lake Wahwashkesh that is properly planned, environmentally responsible, and keeps the intent of the Official Plan. This proposed subdivision is not acceptable in its current state. This proposal is the tip of the iceberg, and has the potential to set a very poor precedent for future development.
The councilors have agreed and asked developer Keene to revise his subdivision plan to address the issues highlighted. Check back here for future updates.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to all of you who have signed the petition and encouraged others to do so. We have over 1300 signatures, with that number rapidly growing by the day. This helped demonstrate to the councilors that Wahwashkesh cottagers/ratepayers/voters do not support the current subdivision proposal.
Please keep posting your comments here, as well as emailing the municipality with your views (firstname.lastname@example.org); It is important that they hear from you.